Brenda Villanueva

“My name is Brenda Villanueva and I am concentrating my studies on Criminal Justice, Psychology, and Latino Studies. This summer I had the privilege to do aninternship through the USLS department. I interned for 7 weeks with the Iowa Department of Human Rights – Office of Latino Affairs, in Des Moines.

Throughout my 7 weeks there I gained tools and experience to improve my understanding on how to better serve the Latino population. I also did research and data collection on issues affecting Latinos. Kimberly Thomas (another intern) and I, collectively created a guide for parents and guardians who had children who were partaking in the public-school system, in the United States, for the very first time.

Overall, I was able to explore my strengths and utilize my creativity, which was the most enjoyable part of it all. I worked on my time and had the leverage to work at my own pace. I also made relationships with an outstanding department. I firmly advocate for equality among all of us. So by working for the DHR – Office of Latino affairs I was gratified to take the first steps toward my goal to help my aching community. I believe that the change one wants to see in world has to begin within us.”