Cassandra Bucklin

CATEGORIES: USLS Interns
“My name is Cassandra Bucklin and my major is Spanish with a double minor in U.S. Latinx Studies and Biology. During the memorable summer of 2020, I got the opportunity to intern (virtually) for the Iowa Department of Human Rights under the exceptional guidance of Soñia Reyes-Snyder. Soñia and I would meet weekly via zoom and discuss our goals for the week. I was tasked to create a list of healthcare facilities across Iowa that are both free/don’t require insurance and accessible to Spanish speakers. I also created/facilitated a virtual social group for Latinx students that met weekly.
Throughout my time interning for the Office of Latino Affairs, I was given the opportunity to explore the connection between Iowa and the Latinx population. I learned how to be professional through technology and video chats (something I think we are all becoming a pro at) and how to create meaningful connections that overcome the obstacles of distance and Covid-19. I am very grateful that I had the chance to get to know more about Iowa’s Latinx population and how I, as an individual, can educate others.”